Self Introduction

Dear Professor Blackstone,

 

My name is Ang Jin Yang and I am currently pursuing a degree in Telematics.

 

Unlike many of my peers, I do not come from an engineering background. I graduated with a Diploma in Infocomm Security Management from Singapore Polytechnic. While the course covered many interesting areas such as secure programming, defending the network and penetration testing, I feel that one of the most important things that I developed was the ability to apply logical and process thinking skills to solve problems.

 

After polytechnic, I wanted to further my studies in an area where I could apply these skills. I feel that engineering would give me this opportunity. Specifically, I decided on Telematics as it is an exciting field, with the emergence of autonomous vehicles and other smart transport solutions.

 

However, while I find technology fascinating, I believe that soft skills such as communications are just as important as technical knowledge. No matter what ideas we have, or what innovations we come up with, they will have little or no impact unless we can convince people to make use of them.

 

I believe I do have some strengths in communication. I am a good listener. I am open to different points of view and this enables me to give and receive useful feedback. 

 

However, one of my key weaknesses is that I sometimes find it difficult to convey my ideas simply and clearly. I am also not very comfortable with public speaking. Back in my polytechnic days, I would get very nervous whenever I had to give a presentation to the class.

 

I hope that the Technical Communications module can help me with these challenges, and I am looking forward to improving my communications skills through this course.

 

Yours sincerely,

Ang Jin Yang


Comments

  1. Hi Jin Yang,

    It's an honor to be given the opportunity to work with you for some parts of this module. This is a lovely introductory letter to introduce yourself to Professor Brad and your classmates. Having read your post, I was able to know more about you to a certain degree. However, I would love to get to know you deeper, and that can be done in person.

    There are one things that I would like you to take note of:

    1) Usage of tense. As I was reading through the letter, I have noticed that some parts of the letter was written in present tense, and most parts of it were written in past tense. With reference to the first sentence of paragraph one - "I do not come from an engineering background" can be written in past tense.

    I hope we can achieve our individual goals through this module and emerge as a better person at this end with all the knowledge we have gained. I look forward to seeing you in class again.

    Warmest Regards

    Bad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jin Yang,

    It is a pleasure reading your introduction letter. I come from a similar course (Diploma in Information Technology) and without a background in engineering may put us in a slight disadvantage to the rest when it comes to the modules involving a foundation. But do not worry, this pressure will push you to exceed your potential. We also have a similar weakness in presenting ourselves and let's continue to work on that through this module.

    Cheers,
    Kelvin

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jin Yang,

    Thanks very much for this very well written letter. You do a good job covering the various assignment requirements, and you do so in a clear and complete fashion. We certainly learn a lot about you in this post. For one thing, it's good to note that you value "logical and process thinking skills to solve problems." That's so important at this stage of learning, of course.

    It's also heartening to learn so much about your view of your own comm skills, and to hear you break down your strength and weakness. We are certainly working on the oral presentation bit, but I'd suggest that if you want to 'get at it,' don't wait around to being called on and speak up whenever I'm looking for input in class.

    In terms of languag use, this is quite a good letter, but there are minor issues with caps throughout and verb tense inconsistency in the second paragraph. Let's see if you can revise this.

    Also, to make your communication fully authentic here, why not respond to those peers who have taken the time to give you input?

    I look forward to reading more from you this term.

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear BlackStone,

      Sorry for the late response. Thank you for your feedback and I will work on the areas you've mentioned!

      Cheers,
      Jin Yang

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Product Summary Draft 2

Product Summary Final Draft